Instructions for obtaining a student visa to Canada

You will learn more about how to obtain a student visa to Canada on your own: a list of documents and procedures.

Study Permit – A study permit to study in Canada (in simple words, a study visa) for foreign nationals. To obtain it, you must have a letter of acceptance from one of the educational institutions with DLI status.

DLI (Designated Learning Institutions) – An institution that has permission to admit international students.

SP is required only if the training lasts more than 6 months. If the period is less or equal to 6 months, you will need Visitor Visa.

If you are interested in studying in this country and then move permanently, we recommend you to study our article about immigration to Canada through education.

A study permit is issued for the entire period of study plus an additional 90 days. This time is required to be able to assemble and leave the country in peace, and to extend the permit if required.

However, the expiration date of the authorization is the actual date of graduation, not the date on the letter of admission. The date of graduation will be the date on which the relevant letter of admission was received from the institution or the diploma/certificate.

If, for some reason, you are unable to complete your studies in Canada before the date on which your student visa ends, you should extend it.

You should also extend your SP if your school or university has asked you to take a pre-course before you start your basic education. The current authorization will be valid until the end of your pre-course.

If you are on vacation, such as summer or winter, you can leave Canada during this period.

Who can apply

The Letter of Enrollment is not yet a guarantee that you will be able to make an SP. There is a simple explanation for this: since the duration of the course is usually a year or two, students have time to adapt during this time. And many people stay in Canada forever after that, often illegally.

To qualify for Study Permit Canada, you must:

  • Be enrolled in an educational institution (DLI);
  • prove your solvency;
  • have no criminal record and other problems with the law;
  • be healthy, and in the future, confirm this by passing a medical examination;
  • convince the immigration officer that you will return to your homeland after graduation.

In addition to the initial requirements, there are also a number of responsibilities that study in Canada entails. These are:

  • conscientious teaching and good academic performance;
  • comply with all conditions of the study permit;
  • interrupt your studies if you no longer meet the requirements;
  • leave Canada after the expiration of the SP.

What conditions must be met:

  • attend classes only for your course;
  • work only if it is allowed;
  • move within Canada only if permitted.

Student visa to Canada is available even if the courses are shorter than 6 months. In this case, it may be relevant to those who are currently studying on short-term courses, but plan to continue their studies on long courses. As another option, the desire to work on campus is possible only with SP.

Documents for student visa

It is worth submitting the documents in advance, as the maximum term of consideration is 5 weeks.

  1. Translation passport. It must be valid for at least 6 months after you graduate and have at least 2 blank pages.
  2. 2 color photos. Size: 3,5×4,5. Without corners and ovals.
  3. Copies of foreign passports. All filled in pages + page with photos.
  4. Copies of cancelled foreign passports. All filled in pages + page with photos.
  5. Copy of national passport. U-turn with photo + registration.
  6. Help from the place of work. Written on the letterhead with the date of issue, as well as information about the employee, such as: position, salary, start date, information that the applicant will be able to return to work after graduation.
  7. Extract from the Bank. The document should contain the flow of funds for the last 4-6 months, indicating the account number and details of the owner, as well as a round seal and date.
  8. Reference from the Bank. It is made on the Bank’s letterhead with the information about the owner of the account, date of its opening, restrictions, if any, account number and the sum of the balance.
  9. For IEs. You should attach a scan of the TIN and OGRN + a letter from the chief accountant, confirming the income for 1 year.
  10. Other documents confirming additional income. These may be: pension, rental of real estate, etc.
  11. For minors. Copies of the birth certificate and passports of the parents, as well as a letter from the sponsor and an extract from the Sponsor Bank. If the child goes on a trip without one or both parents – notarized permission to travel from one / both parents. And also their contact information.
  12. Documents confirming the connection with the Homeland. These can be real estate certificates, marriage certificates, birth certificates of minor children.
  13. Letter of motivation. It should be written in any language, but it should be noted that all documents should be translated into English or French. It contains an appeal to the Canadian embassy / visa officer and a description of what motivates you to study in Canada. This letter should also include additional information that you consider it necessary to provide to the officer, or a justification for the absence of any mandatory document.
  14. Letter of Acceptance. Letter of admission to an educational institution in Canada.
  15. Application for Study Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM1294). Family information questionnaire.
  16. Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada (IMM 5257). Form with additional information.
  17. Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada (IMM 5257). Form with additional information.
  18. For citizens of other states living in the Russian Federation. A copy of the document confirming legal residence, as well as a copy of the temporary registration.
  19. Sponsorship letter and sponsor documents.For those who can not pay the costs themselves. These categories include minors, the unemployed and simply those who do not have enough money. If the trip is paid for by the sponsor, he must provide his certificates and bank statements, as well as a copy of his passport and information about what connects you as a financial guarantee.

All listed documents for student visas (other than passports) that are not in English or French must be translated into one of these languages.

No notarized translation is required. But each translated document must contain the translator’s details (name, phone number, address), the date of translation, as well as the signature and round seal of the company that translated.

According to the rules of documents submission for any type of visa to Canada, the applicant and his relatives are not entitled to make translations of their documents.

How much money should be in the account

The amount that must be in the account at the time of filing the documents is composed of the following components:

  • the remainder of the tuition fee;
  • the amount to pay for the flight and housing (approximate);
  • amount to support yourself in Canada.

If we are talking about sponsorship, the account of the sponsor should also have some “pillow” for him and his family. As a rule, this is the amount of 1-2 salaries.

The amount you will have to support yourself in Canada depends on which province you study in and whether or not your relatives will accompany you. Below are two tables showing the amounts for those who plan to study in Quebec and outside of it.

Outside Quebec

For the student himself 833 CAD per month
Additionally for the first family member 333 CAD per month
For each next family member 255 CAD per month


You are planning a trip with your spouse and child for a one-year program. Then the calculation of funds for stay will be as follows:

(833 CAD + 333 CAD + 255 CAD) x 12 = 17 052 ​​CAD.

In Quebec

For the student himself 917 CAD per month
Additionally for the first family member (from 18 years old) 425 CAD per month
Additionally for the first family member (under 18) 317 CAD per month
For each next family member (from 18 years old) 427 CAD per month
For each additional family member (under 18) 159 CAD per month


You are planning a trip accompanied by your spouse and two children under 18 years old for the annual program. Then the calculation of funds for stay will be as follows:

(917 CAD + 425 CAD + 159 CAD + 159 CAD) x 12 = 19 920 CAD.

Leave a Comment